Jews admire and follow Indian leaders: Peres
Jerusalem: Likening their cultural relations
with India with an old love affair, Israeli President Shimon
Peres has said the Jewish community admire Indian statesmen
like Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru and its leaders
closely follow them.
"We were prevented by the British from publishing their
works during the mandate period. I remember very well that the
Autobiography of Gandhi and the `Letters from a Father to a
Daughter` were among the first books to be translated to
Hebrew", Peres told visiting Minister of State for Commerce
and Industry, Jyotiraditya Scindia during a meeting.
Peres also expressed Israel`s support to India in the war
against terror saying "India`s security is as important to us
as our own".
"India is a friend and it was so even before diplomatic
relations were established between the two countries", the
Nobel laureate Israeli President emphasised adding, "We may
not be as big as India but are as old from a cultural point of
Scindia said the people-to-people contact between the two
countries in growing and India has emerged as the preferred
tourist destination among Israeli youngsters.
Some 40,000 Israelis visit India every year, most of them
youngsters freshly released from mandatory service in the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'