Jews welcome probe into Prisoner X`s death
Melbourne: Australian`s Jewish community today welcomed Australian and Israeli governments decision to initiate probe into the circumstances surrounding the death of Prisoner X.
In a statement issued today, Executive Council of Australian Jewry said "We welcome the fact that the Israeli Parliament`s Foreign Affairs and Defence Subcommittee for Intelligence and the Israeli State Attorney`s office, part of the Ministry of Justice, have both announced that they will be conducting investigations into the circumstances surrounding Ben Zygier`s death."
Executive Council President Danny Lamm said, "We also welcome the inquiries being undertaken by Australia`s Foreign Affairs Minister Bob Carr within the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the fact that he has invited the Israeli authorities to have an input into those inquiries".
According to `The Age` report, the Jewish community leaders Down Under were reluctant to speak openly about the death of Australian Israeli national Ben Zygier, a former Melbourne lawyer who was allegedly spy of Mossad.
Zygier was arrested in Israel in February 2010 and died in prison 10 months later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH