Jews welcome probe into Prisoner X`s death
Melbourne: Australian`s Jewish community today welcomed Australian and Israeli governments decision to initiate probe into the circumstances surrounding the death of Prisoner X.
In a statement issued today, Executive Council of Australian Jewry said "We welcome the fact that the Israeli Parliament`s Foreign Affairs and Defence Subcommittee for Intelligence and the Israeli State Attorney`s office, part of the Ministry of Justice, have both announced that they will be conducting investigations into the circumstances surrounding Ben Zygier`s death."
Executive Council President Danny Lamm said, "We also welcome the inquiries being undertaken by Australia`s Foreign Affairs Minister Bob Carr within the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the fact that he has invited the Israeli authorities to have an input into those inquiries".
According to `The Age` report, the Jewish community leaders Down Under were reluctant to speak openly about the death of Australian Israeli national Ben Zygier, a former Melbourne lawyer who was allegedly spy of Mossad.
Zygier was arrested in Israel in February 2010 and died in prison 10 months later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- DNA : Today in History, 26th July, 2016