Jihadist group claims attack in Xinjiang
Beijing: A jihadist group has surfaced
releasing a video to claim responsibility for carrying out
recent attacks in the China`s restive western region of
Xinjiang targeting Han ethnic civilians.
The group, calling itself Turkistan Islamic Party (TIP),
said in the video that it was struggling for independence of
Chinese Turkestan (Xinjiang).
According to the Site intelligence website, the group is
based in Pakistan where its cadres are trained by al Qaeda and
In the video, TIP leader Abdul Shakoor Damla claimed
responsibility for last month`s attack at Kashghar in Xinjiang
province that killed 22 people including eight militants.
China blames the attacks on East Turkistan Islamic
Movement, an Uyghur militant group, which is also based in
tribal areas of Pakistan.
Reacting to the release of the video, Chinese Foreign
Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin called for joint global fight
Liu said: "I haven`t seen the video... but at the same
time China`s principled stand is that a small handful of
terrorist forces are attempting to split China by resorting to
rampant violent terrorist activities. They are trying to
seriously undermine China`s national unity, and regional peace
China supported international efforts to jointly combat
terrorism, he said, pointing out that Beijing hopes that the
international community would strengthen cooperation as the
10th anniversary of 9/11 attacks drew closer.
"The 10th anniversary of the September 11 incident is
drawing near. We also hope the international community would
strengthen cooperation and do more for the goal of combating
terrorism," he said.
Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari recently visited
Xinjiang to attend an international Expo and assured his
country`s full cooperation to eliminate ETIM militants.
Experts say ETIM and TIP are one and the same fighting
for separation of Muslim Uyghur majority Xinjiang province
from China and opposing the settlements of Han community from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened