Jihadist group claims attack in Xinjiang
Beijing: A jihadist group has surfaced
releasing a video to claim responsibility for carrying out
recent attacks in the China`s restive western region of
Xinjiang targeting Han ethnic civilians.
The group, calling itself Turkistan Islamic Party (TIP),
said in the video that it was struggling for independence of
Chinese Turkestan (Xinjiang).
According to the Site intelligence website, the group is
based in Pakistan where its cadres are trained by al Qaeda and
In the video, TIP leader Abdul Shakoor Damla claimed
responsibility for last month`s attack at Kashghar in Xinjiang
province that killed 22 people including eight militants.
China blames the attacks on East Turkistan Islamic
Movement, an Uyghur militant group, which is also based in
tribal areas of Pakistan.
Reacting to the release of the video, Chinese Foreign
Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin called for joint global fight
Liu said: "I haven`t seen the video... but at the same
time China`s principled stand is that a small handful of
terrorist forces are attempting to split China by resorting to
rampant violent terrorist activities. They are trying to
seriously undermine China`s national unity, and regional peace
China supported international efforts to jointly combat
terrorism, he said, pointing out that Beijing hopes that the
international community would strengthen cooperation as the
10th anniversary of 9/11 attacks drew closer.
"The 10th anniversary of the September 11 incident is
drawing near. We also hope the international community would
strengthen cooperation and do more for the goal of combating
terrorism," he said.
Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari recently visited
Xinjiang to attend an international Expo and assured his
country`s full cooperation to eliminate ETIM militants.
Experts say ETIM and TIP are one and the same fighting
for separation of Muslim Uyghur majority Xinjiang province
from China and opposing the settlements of Han community from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing