Jihadist group claims bomb targeting Egypt minister
Cairo: An al Qaeda-inspired group based in Egypt`s Sinai has said it was behind a bombing that targeted the interior minister in a failed assassination attempt, a statement on militant Islamist forums said.
"God has allowed your brothers in Ansar Beit al-Maqdis to shatter the security organisation of the murderer Mohammed Ibrahim through a martyrdom operation," the group said in the online statement, pledging further attacks.
A car bomb ripped through the interior minister`s convoy as he was leaving home for work on Thursday, killing one person.
Ibrahim, who was travelling in an armoured car, was unscathed.
In the statement, the militant group which has in the past claimed attacks against neighbouring Israel, apologised "for not killing the tyrant", threatening another attack against him and army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.
The group blamed both men for the killings of hundreds of Islamist supporters of president Mohamed Morsi, overthrown by the military in a popularly backed coup on July 3.
"We vow to God to avenge all those who killed Muslims and assaulted their honour, the foremost being Sisi and Mohammed Ibrahim," the statement said.
"We call on all Muslims in Egypt to stay away from all military and interior ministry installations to preserve their lives," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'