Jihadist ISIL inks truce with Syria rebel brigade
Beirut: The jihadist Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant has signed a truce deal in Syria with an Islamist rebel brigade involved in a widespread armed backlash against it.
The deal signed yesterday between ISIL and Suqour al-Sham was posted online today, and also reported by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights NGO.
It calls for "an immediate halt to fighting between the sides and no assault by either side on the other in any way".
It also urges that any disagreements between the groups be referred to an Islamic court.
Jihadist groups were initially welcomed to the Syrian conflict by some in the opposition.
But ISIL has sparked a fierce backlash from both moderate and Islamist brigades because of alleged abuses against civilians and rival armed opposition groups.
Since January 3, a coalition of those rebel groups has been fighting ISIL across areas under opposition control, including Idlib, Aleppo and Raqa provinces.
The fighting has killed more than 1,700 people, according to the Observatory, and has drawn attention and resources away from the fight against the regime in some places.
ISIL grew from the Islamic State of Iraq, a one-time al Qaeda affiliate in Iraq that expanded into Syria after the conflict there began.
The group sought to merge with the jihadist Al-Nusra Front in Syria, but the Front rebuffed the overture and pledged allegiance directly to al Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri.
Zawahiri says Al-Nusra is al Qaeda`s official branch in Syria, and has distanced his organisation from ISIL, unsuccessfully ordering them to return to Iraq.
Al-Nusra has largely stayed out of the fighting against ISIL, but an array of moderate brigades as well as Islamist groups from the Islamic Front -- including Suqour al-Sham -- have been involved in fierce clashes with ISIL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia