Jihadists `planned maximum casualties` at Oz Army base
Melbourne: Five men plotted to storm an Australian Army base with high-powered weapons and shoot as many people as possible to further the cause of Islam, a court heard on Monday.
Melbourne`s Supreme Court heard the men, who have been linked with Islamic extremists in Somalia, planned to continue their rampage at Sydney`s Holsworthy Army barracks until they were killed or captured.
Crown prosecutor Nick Robinson said the plot was hatched between February and August 04 2009, when the five were arrested in a swoop involving hundreds of police in Melbourne.
He said one of the accused visited Somalia to seek a fatwa, or religious decree, for the attack, adding they had condemned Australia`s involvement in the war in Afghanistan and believed the country was oppressing Muslims.
Robinson added that the men believed Islam was under attack from several countries, including Australia, and wanted to advance their religion as they perceived it.
Saney Edow Aweys, 27, Yacqub Khayre, 23, Abdirahmin Mohamud Ahmed, 26, Wissam Mahmoud Fattal, 34, and Nayef El Sayed, 26, have all pleaded not guilty to conspiring to do acts in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist act.
Robinson also said Fattal had visited Holsworthy and described it as an easy target. Police have said the attack would have been the worst extremist incident in Australian history.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read