Jimmy Savile`s ex-flatmate charged with rape in Britain
London: The former flatmate and chauffeur of late BBC presenter Jimmy Savile appeared in court on Saturday charged with a series of sexual assaults against young girls, including rape.
Ray Teret, 72, is charged with 32 offences involving 15 different victims who accuse him of sexual abuse between 1962 and 1996, mainly in and around Manchester, northwest England.
The former pirate radio DJ was released on conditional bail pending another hearing next month. He did not enter a plea.
Police have said the accusations are not linked to the posthumous national inquiry into historic allegations of abuse by Savile, who died in 2011 aged 84.
Detectives in that separate operation believe Savile was one of Britain`s most prolific sex offenders.
Teret has been charged with 15 counts of rape of a female under 16, one count of rape and a further count of attempted rape of a female under 16.
He also faces six counts of indecent assault of a female under 16, three counts of indecent assault of a female under 14, and one count of gross indecency with a child under 13.
He is further charged with possessing "extreme pornography", as well as an indecent image of a child.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Indo-US counter-terrorism joint working group to meet today
- Hillary Clinton more qualified than anyone to serve as US president: Barack Obama
- Rahul Gandhi likely to speak on price rise in Lok Sabha today
- 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case: Ten years later, MCOCA court likely to deliver verdict today