Jimmy Savile`s ex-flatmate charged with rape in Britain
London: The former flatmate and chauffeur of late BBC presenter Jimmy Savile appeared in court on Saturday charged with a series of sexual assaults against young girls, including rape.
Ray Teret, 72, is charged with 32 offences involving 15 different victims who accuse him of sexual abuse between 1962 and 1996, mainly in and around Manchester, northwest England.
The former pirate radio DJ was released on conditional bail pending another hearing next month. He did not enter a plea.
Police have said the accusations are not linked to the posthumous national inquiry into historic allegations of abuse by Savile, who died in 2011 aged 84.
Detectives in that separate operation believe Savile was one of Britain`s most prolific sex offenders.
Teret has been charged with 15 counts of rape of a female under 16, one count of rape and a further count of attempted rape of a female under 16.
He also faces six counts of indecent assault of a female under 16, three counts of indecent assault of a female under 14, and one count of gross indecency with a child under 13.
He is further charged with possessing "extreme pornography", as well as an indecent image of a child.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended