JK Rowling told to stay away from village
London:Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, whose first adult novel "The Casual Vacancy" shows herself proficient "at tossing out the F-word", has been told to "steer clear" of the village she grew up in because her book heaps shame on it.
The Sun said Rowling`s novel portrays prostitution, drug abuse and political rows.
It is set in the fictional village of Pagford but is reportedly inspired by Tutshill in Gloucestershire where the 47-year-old Rowling spent her teenage years.
The writer described her teenage as "not a particularly happy time in my life".
The book mocks the "snobbishness" of locals, and has infuriated the people still living there.
"It`s derogatory in the extreme and completely unfounded. I think the people of Tutshill are right to be most annoyed and distressed," said Tutshill councillor Brian Thornton.
Asked if Rowling should come back to see what the village was like now, he said: "I think she ought to steer clear."
Rowling, a mother of three, recently said she could not wait to get out of Tutshill.
Earlier, the nydailynews.com said Rowling shows herself proficient "at tossing out the F-word".
A long passage in the book is devoted to an exploration of online porn by two teenage boys, and what the teenagers see "is described in extremely graphic terms".
"Most of the language she uses to describe the naughty surfing is so dirty that we can`t repeat it in a family newspaper," the website said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened