John Allen to be nominated as Nato commander
Washington: Just after the Pentagon cleared Gen John Allen, of charges of professional misconduct over email exchanges with a socialite, the White House said that it will go ahead with nominating him as the Nato commander in Europe.
Allen, who heads the US and NATO forces in Afghanistan was blemished when his name appeared in the scam following which Gen (rtd) David Petraeus, the CIA Director resigned citing extra marital affairs.
Earlier Wednesday Allen was cleared of all charges against him.
"Secretary Panetta has been informed that the Department`s Office of Inspector General has concluded an investigation into a matter involving General John Allen, US Marine Corps. The Secretary was pleased to learn that allegations of professional misconduct were not substantiated by the investigation," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
"The Secretary has complete confidence in the continued leadership of General Allen, who is serving with distinction in Afghanistan," Little said in a statement, ending all speculations against one of best American commanders.
Allen who was nominated by the US President, Barack Obama, to head the NATO Command was temporarily suspended and the Congressional hearing in this regard was stopped.
Allen is scheduled to hand over the Afghan command next month.
(With Agency Input)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets