John Boehner narrowly re-elected House speaker
London: US Republican John Boehner has been re-elected as speaker of the House of Representatives.
Boehner overcame dissatisfaction among fellow Republicans over his handling of this week`s fiscal cliff vote, as well as a decision to delay a vote on an aid package for victims of December`s ‘superstorm’ Sandy.
The 220 to 192 vote saw several Republicans vote against him or abstain, but not enough to derail his re-election bid, the BBC reports.
According to the report, no Republican stood against him, but Democrats voted for their party leader, Nancy Pelosi.
Boehner calmed cries from East Coast politicians after promising to vote on the full USD 60 billion package in two parts by January 15.
A vote on USD nine billion in immediate aid will be among the lower chamber`s first substantive business on Friday, Boehner has said.
In an address, Boehner alluded to forthcoming discussions over government spending, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH