John Boehner narrowly re-elected House speaker
London: US Republican John Boehner has been re-elected as speaker of the House of Representatives.
Boehner overcame dissatisfaction among fellow Republicans over his handling of this week`s fiscal cliff vote, as well as a decision to delay a vote on an aid package for victims of December`s ‘superstorm’ Sandy.
The 220 to 192 vote saw several Republicans vote against him or abstain, but not enough to derail his re-election bid, the BBC reports.
According to the report, no Republican stood against him, but Democrats voted for their party leader, Nancy Pelosi.
Boehner calmed cries from East Coast politicians after promising to vote on the full USD 60 billion package in two parts by January 15.
A vote on USD nine billion in immediate aid will be among the lower chamber`s first substantive business on Friday, Boehner has said.
In an address, Boehner alluded to forthcoming discussions over government spending, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?