John Boehner narrowly re-elected House speaker
London: US Republican John Boehner has been re-elected as speaker of the House of Representatives.
Boehner overcame dissatisfaction among fellow Republicans over his handling of this week`s fiscal cliff vote, as well as a decision to delay a vote on an aid package for victims of December`s ‘superstorm’ Sandy.
The 220 to 192 vote saw several Republicans vote against him or abstain, but not enough to derail his re-election bid, the BBC reports.
According to the report, no Republican stood against him, but Democrats voted for their party leader, Nancy Pelosi.
Boehner calmed cries from East Coast politicians after promising to vote on the full USD 60 billion package in two parts by January 15.
A vote on USD nine billion in immediate aid will be among the lower chamber`s first substantive business on Friday, Boehner has said.
In an address, Boehner alluded to forthcoming discussions over government spending, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal