John Boehner narrowly re-elected House speaker
London: US Republican John Boehner has been re-elected as speaker of the House of Representatives.
Boehner overcame dissatisfaction among fellow Republicans over his handling of this week`s fiscal cliff vote, as well as a decision to delay a vote on an aid package for victims of December`s ‘superstorm’ Sandy.
The 220 to 192 vote saw several Republicans vote against him or abstain, but not enough to derail his re-election bid, the BBC reports.
According to the report, no Republican stood against him, but Democrats voted for their party leader, Nancy Pelosi.
Boehner calmed cries from East Coast politicians after promising to vote on the full USD 60 billion package in two parts by January 15.
A vote on USD nine billion in immediate aid will be among the lower chamber`s first substantive business on Friday, Boehner has said.
In an address, Boehner alluded to forthcoming discussions over government spending, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations