John Kerry angered by Israeli minister`s sharp criticism
Washington: In a rare move, Secretary of State John Kerry protested Wednesday to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu about strong criticism of US foreign policy by his outspoken defense minister.
In a telephone call, Kerry told Netanyahu the comments made by Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon are inconsistent with strong ties between Israel and the United States, State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.
"Clearly his comments were not constructive," Psaki told reporters, after Yaalon slammed the US administration for showing weakness around the world, particularly on its policy with Iran and Ukraine.
"Secretary Kerry spoke with Prime Minister Netanyahu this morning and protested to him his concerns about these comments," she said, adding that the United States has an "unshakeable commitment" to Israel`s security.
"It is certainly confusing to us why Defense Minister Yaalon would continue his pattern of making comments that don`t accurately represent the scope of our close partnership on a range of security issues and on the enduring partnership between the United States and Israel."
But Kerry has a "thick skin" and "we`re ready to move forward and keep talking about the peace process," Psaki added.
It is not Yaalon`s first diatribe against the administration of President Barack Obama and Kerry himself.
In January, the State Department denounced as "offensive" comments made by the defense minister accusing Kerry of an "incomprehensible obsession" with his push for Middle East peace.
Yaalon was later forced to apologize to the top US diplomat, who has been trying to hammer out for the past year a comprehensive peace treaty between Israel and the Palestinians.
Psaki refused to divulge what Netanyahu`s response was on Wednesday`s call, nor whether Kerry had asked the Israeli prime minister to fire Yaalon.
Netanyahu`s office would not comment on the call, but Israeli news website Ynet said the premier had spoken to Yaalon about the matter and that a source in the defense minister`s office said Yaalon was "expected to smooth things over with the Americans."
In an address to Tel Aviv University, Yaalon was quoted as saying Tuesday that if the United States continued to demonstrate weakness overseas, its own security would be harmed.
"If you sit and wait at home, terrorism will come again," the Haaretz daily quoted him as saying.
"If your image is feebleness, it doesn`t pay in the world... I hope the United States comes to its senses. If it doesn`t, it will challenge the world order and the United States is the one that will suffer."
He also toughened his line on Iran and appeared ready to back an Israeli military strike.
"We had thought the ones who should lead the (military) campaign against Iran is the United States... But at some stage, the United States entered into negotiations with them, and unhappily, when it comes to negotiating at a Persian bazaar, the Iranians were better," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly