John Kerry arrives in Saudi Arabia on Syria push
Jeddah: US Secretary of State John Kerry arrived in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday in hopes of coordinating support for Syria`s rebels amid fears that a prolonged civil war will embolden extremists.
Kerry was to spend several hours in the western city of Jeddah consulting with the leadership of the oil-rich Sunni Muslim monarchy, which has been outspoken in its opposition to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
President Barack Obama is cautious about deeper US involvement in the increasingly sectarian conflict but has vowed to step up support for the rebels after concluding that Assad defied warnings and used chemical weapons.
US policymakers have privately voiced concern that Saudi Arabia and fellow monarchy Qatar could increasingly embrace hardline Sunni guerrillas in strategically placed Syria if Western powers leave a vacuum.
Kerry told a conference of major powers in Qatar on Saturday that the United States and its partners were boosting military aid to Syria`s mainstream rebels, although he has been reticent on the exact nature of the assistance.
In interviews ahead of his departure to Jeddah, Kerry declined to raise concerns about potential Saudi and Qatari support for hardliners but said it was critical to strengthen moderate rebels to prevent an Assad victory.
"If the United States does nothing, and the rest of the world does nothing, then Syria is going to wind up in an even worse condition than it is today," Kerry told CBS News from New Delhi.
A worse scenario in Syria could include "a total breakup, with radicals, extremists able to get a hold of chemical weapons and free to use it as a base to begin to conduct their operations again against the West and the United States," Kerry said.
Saudi Arabia, while a longstanding US ally, practises a puritanical form of Wahhabi Islam. US officials have in the past voiced concern about money from Gulf Arabs funding Sunni hardliners in Afghanistan, Pakistan and elsewhere.
Assad, who leads a secular state, belongs to the heterodox Alawite sect which some Sunni conservatives consider un-Islamic. Assad enjoys strong support from Iran, a Shiite Muslim state which counts Syria as its main Arab ally.
Kerry has called for greater support to Syria`s rebels by accusing Iran of "internationalisation" of the conflict through the growing role in the war of guerrillas from Hezbollah, a Lebanese Shiite movement backed by Tehran.
Kerry has insisted that the United States is not looking necessarily for a victory by the rebels but instead wants to step up pressure on Assad until he agrees to peace negotiations as set out by a conference in Geneva last year.
Russia, a supporter of the Assad family`s four-decade rule in Syria, joined the United States in backing the Geneva plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in