John Kerry calls Israeli PM to avoid further escalation
Washington: As Israeli soldiers launched a ground offensive in the Gaza Strip to destroy Hamas` rocket-firing abilities, US Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday called Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to avoid further escalation.
"The Secretary emphasised the need to avoid further escalation and to restore the 2012 ceasefire as soon as possible, reinforced our continuing commitment to the Egyptian initiative as the way to do so and underscored the importance of Hamas accepting this plan as soon as possible," State Department readout said.
During a telephonic conversation, Netanyahu described the attack near Kibbutz Sufa as the imminent threat to Israeli civilians posed by Hamas tunnels from the Gaza Strip.
"The Prime Minister explained his decision to launch an operation to target the threat of further terrorist infiltration through tunnels into Israel," it said.
Kerry reaffirmed America`s strong support for Israel`s right to defend itself against terrorist threats emanating from tunnels and expressed the view that this should be a precise operation to target tunnels.
"The Secretary also reiterated our concern about the safety and security of civilians on both sides and the importance of doing everything possible to prevent civilian casualties," the readout said.
Meanwhile, the US Senate yesterday approved 498 resolution supporting Israel as it executes Operation Protective Edge against Hamas terrorists in Gaza.
"The United States firmly and resolutely stands with Israel as it defends its citizens from an onslaught of unprovoked rocket fire launched by Hamas terrorists," Senator Robert Menendez said.
"While Israel had agreed to a cessation of hostilities and halted its military campaign to facilitate the delivery of humanitarian supplies to Gaza, Hamas continued to terrorise Israel with a non-stop onslaught of rockets. Hamas uses civilians as protective shields and houses rockets in hospitals, schools, and mosques," he added.
House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer said Hamas rejected cease fire and used innocent Palestinians as human shields for their rocket launchers, and they brazenly launched a raid against an Israeli border town using an underground tunnel.
"Israel`s operation to clear out these border tunnels and other terrorist infrastructure that enable Hamas attacks reflects Israel`s right and moral obligation to protect its citizens," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow