John Kerry meets Egyptian counterpart, says Cairo a "vital partner"
Cairo: US Secretary of State John Kerry met his Egyptian counterpart in Cairo on Sunday and said Egypt was a "vital partner" that Washington was committed to working with.
Speaking at a joint news conference with Egyptian Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy, Kerry said there were indications Egypt`s generals would restore democracy, after the military overthrew Islamist president Mohamed Mursi in July following mass protests against his rule.
"Thus far there are indications that this is what they are intending to do," Kerry said about his recent remarks in Pakistan that Egypt`s generals were "restoring democracy" when they deposed Mursi.
Kerry, the most senior US official to visit Egypt since the Army overthrew Morsi in July, stressed the need for fair and transparent trials for all Egyptians.
His Cairo visit is the first stop in a nine-day trip to the Middle East, Eastern Europe and North Africa. It comes as Mohamed Mursi - Egypt`s first democratically-elected president - and 14 other senior figures of the Muslim Brotherhood were due to go on trial on Monday.
Kerry will discuss political transition in the country and how that affects bilateral ties with Washington, a senior State Department official said.
However, the US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the visit was "totally and completely unrelated to the Mursi trial".
Ties between the United States and Egypt have deteriorated since the overthrow of Mursi in July. Washington has repeatedly urged the interim government to act with restraint in cracking down on the Muslim Brotherhood and its supporters.
Kerry will stress the importance of following the rule of law in his meetings with Egyptian authorities, the State Department official said. He will call for transparent and open trials for all Egyptians, as well as avoiding politicised arrests, the official added.
Kerry`s tour will include visits to Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Algeria and Morocco. It appears at least in part aimed at easing concerns about Washington`s overtures towards Iran and its position on the crisis in Syria.
In Riyadh, Kerry will have his first meeting with Saudi King Abdullah since becoming Secretary of State in February.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared