John Kerry stayed at US-blacklisted Myanmar hotel
Yangon: The US said today that Secretary of State John Kerry wasn`t breaking any rules when he stayed in a hotel owned by a tycoon blacklisted by the US because of ties with Myanmar`s former military regime.
In a country where cronies own almost all the biggest and best-known firms, including hotels in the capital Naypyitaw, Kerry would have been hard-pressed to find anywhere else to stay as he attended a weekend gathering of Southeast Asian foreign ministers.
But the move illustrates the conundrum of American policies. Washington is eager to engage Myanmar`s new nominally civilian government, but does not want to be accused of engaging in bad business practices.
US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Kerry did nothing wrong.
She said Myanmar`s Foreign Ministry assigned Kerry and members of his delegation to the Lake Garden Hotel, owned by blacklisted Zaw Zaw`s Max Myanmar group.
The International Emergency Economic Powers Act, which outlines dealings with "specially designated" or "blacklisted" nationals, "includes an exemption for activities related to travel, including hotel accommodations," she added.
Though most economic US sanctions imposed on Myanmar during its days of dictatorship have been lifted, American companies are still barred from doing business with individuals and entities perceived as having profited from past or current military ties.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference