John Kerry to make another trip to Middle East
Washington: US Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday will visit the Middle East - Turkey and Israel - his third trip to the region in less than a month, which is being seen as a personal effort on his part to ease tension in the region and work towards durable peace.
Kerry`s latest trip comes after Israel apologised to Turkey for the deaths of nine Turkish activists aboard an aid ship bound for Gaza, in a raid by Israeli commandoes in 2010, ending an almost three-year spat in a deal worked out by US President Barack Obama.
"The Secretary will depart this weekend. His first stop will now be in Istanbul where he will consult with senior Turkish leaders on a variety of subjects including the situation in Syria. He will then go on April 8th and 9th to Jerusalem and Ramallah," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
"In Jerusalem he will meet with (the Israeli) Prime Minister (Benjamin) Netanyahu. In Ramallah he will meet with (the Palestine) President (Mahmud) Abbas," she said.
From the Middle East, Kerry would resume his pre-announced trip to Europe and Asia, she said.
On Kerry`s trip to the Middle East, Nuland cautioned not to expect that he would be putting down a plan.
"As the President said during his visit to the region, following his visit, he asked Secretary Kerry to continue exploring with the parties, with the Israelis and the Palestinians, how we can support the parties in getting back to the table and in having a real dialogue leading to peace," she said.
In the last trip to the region, she said, Kerry had a chance to have a meeting directly after the visit with both Netanyahu and Abbas.
"It`s now been a couple of weeks. They`ve had some time to reflect on the visit et cetera. So this is a chance for the secretary to go back and listen again and to hear what they think is possible," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow