John Kerry to push for coordinated aid to Syrian rebels
Doha: US Secretary of State John Kerry is in Qatar to meet officials from nearly a dozen nations to firm up and coordinate military and humanitarian aid going to the Syrian opposition trying to oust President Bashar Assad.
Kerry flew to Doha, the capital of Qatar, on Saturday. It`s the first stop on his seven-nation trip through the Mideast and Asia.
US officials hope the meeting will re-energise a newly expanded Syrian opposition group, which is to elect new leadership in coming days.
Kerry is a strong proponent of international intervention to stop the civil war in Syria, which has claimed 93,000 lives.
President Barack Obama recently announced the US will send weapons to the rebels, despite concern the arms could end up in the hands of Islamic extremists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price