John Kerry to push for coordinated aid to Syrian rebels
Doha: US Secretary of State John Kerry is in Qatar to meet officials from nearly a dozen nations to firm up and coordinate military and humanitarian aid going to the Syrian opposition trying to oust President Bashar Assad.
Kerry flew to Doha, the capital of Qatar, on Saturday. It`s the first stop on his seven-nation trip through the Mideast and Asia.
US officials hope the meeting will re-energise a newly expanded Syrian opposition group, which is to elect new leadership in coming days.
Kerry is a strong proponent of international intervention to stop the civil war in Syria, which has claimed 93,000 lives.
President Barack Obama recently announced the US will send weapons to the rebels, despite concern the arms could end up in the hands of Islamic extremists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP