John Kerry to push for coordinated aid to Syrian rebels
Doha: US Secretary of State John Kerry is in Qatar to meet officials from nearly a dozen nations to firm up and coordinate military and humanitarian aid going to the Syrian opposition trying to oust President Bashar Assad.
Kerry flew to Doha, the capital of Qatar, on Saturday. It`s the first stop on his seven-nation trip through the Mideast and Asia.
US officials hope the meeting will re-energise a newly expanded Syrian opposition group, which is to elect new leadership in coming days.
Kerry is a strong proponent of international intervention to stop the civil war in Syria, which has claimed 93,000 lives.
President Barack Obama recently announced the US will send weapons to the rebels, despite concern the arms could end up in the hands of Islamic extremists.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way