John McAfee in US after deportation from Guatemala
Miami Beach: Anti-virus software founder John McAfee said US authorities have made no efforts to question since he arrived in Miami on Wednesday night after weeks of evading Belizean authorities who want to question him in the death of his neighbour.
"Why would they want to question me, about what?" a tired-looking but jauntily dressed McAfee said on Thursday from the steps of his South Beach hotel.
McAfee was deported from Guatemala after sneaking in illegally from Belize, where police want to question him in connection with the death of a US expatriate who lived near him on an island off Belize`s coast.
US officials said there was no active arrest warrant for McAfee that would justify taking him into custody.
He said he was put on a plane to Miami where he will stay until his girlfriend, 20-year-old Belizean Samantha Vanegas, and a friend can join him.
"I had the warmest welcome of my life. The captain patted me on the shoulders and said, `We`re here to help you, sir, please come with us," McAfee told a throng of reporters camped outside his hotel today.
The 67-year-old British native said a dozen custom agents and police officers then drove him around until he asked to be dropped at a taxi stand.
The eccentric millionaire was typically chatty and said he was anxious for a decent breakfast after days of eating terrible Guatemalan prison food.
But he bristled as reporters repeatedly asked him why he won`t answer questions from officials in Belize, denying he was under investigation. He has not been charged with a crime.
"They just want to question me, they just have a couple of questions for me, that`s not investigating me," he said.
McAfee says he did not kill the neighbour and feared his own life would be in danger if he turned himself in to Belizean authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof