John Paul II moves a step closer to beatification
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has moved Pope John Paul II one step closer to possible beatification, the milestone before sainthood.
Benedict on Saturday approved a decree attesting to John Paul`s heroic virtues. Benedict still must sign off on a miracle attributed to John Paul`s intercession before the late pope can be beatified.
Benedict put the Polish pontiff on the fast track for sainthood just weeks after his April 2, 2005 death, waiving the customary five-year waiting period and allowing the investigation into John Paul`s virtues to begin immediately.
Benedict also approved a decree on the heroic virtues of Pope Pius XII, despite opposition from Jews who say the World War II-era pope didn`t do enough to stop the Holocaust.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis