John Paul II moves a step closer to beatification
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI has moved Pope John Paul II one step closer to possible beatification, the milestone before sainthood.
Benedict on Saturday approved a decree attesting to John Paul`s heroic virtues. Benedict still must sign off on a miracle attributed to John Paul`s intercession before the late pope can be beatified.
Benedict put the Polish pontiff on the fast track for sainthood just weeks after his April 2, 2005 death, waiving the customary five-year waiting period and allowing the investigation into John Paul`s virtues to begin immediately.
Benedict also approved a decree on the heroic virtues of Pope Pius XII, despite opposition from Jews who say the World War II-era pope didn`t do enough to stop the Holocaust.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan