Jolie mulling new role with UN refugee agency
Geneva: Angelina Jolie says she`s considering
taking on a new and expanded role with the UN refugee agency
for which she already serves as goodwill ambassador.
The actress told reporters today that she and the agency
are still studying their options and working out the details,
but haven`t settled on anything because they want to get it
Jolie stopped by the UN`s European headquarters to
highlight the plight of refugees globally in an address to the
agency`s executive committee.
She told diplomats and officials with the agency known as
UNHCR that her work for them has been "moving, sometimes
heartbreaking, but always rewarding, and unforgettable."
Her speech about refugees everywhere from Somalia to
Afghanistan drew widespread applause.
"They are the most vulnerable people in the world, and
they are also the most resilient people in the world," the
actress told UN diplomats and officials.
"Refugees are survivors, they are mothers and daughters
and fathers and sons, they are all extraordinary people who
have a remarkable story that tells of strength in the face of
great loss," she said.
"They need our help more than ever."
Jolie also recalled the killing of UN staff in
Afghanistan and Nigeria and said "we must demand a great
respect for the concepts of independence, impartiality and
neutrality in order to ensure the safety and lives of
She said she hoped increasing budget constraints among UN
donor nations would not prevent them from continuing to open
their wallets to the world`s most vulnerable.
Yesterday, she was in Geneva to be recognised for her
work and to honour a Yemeni aid group, the Society for
Humanitarian Solidarity, at UNHCR`s annual awards ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!