Jones steps down as Obama`s National Security Adviser
Washington: President Barack Obama`s National
Security Adviser James Jones, a close friend of India, has
stepped down and would be replaced by his deputy Tom Donilon.
Announcing Gen (Retd) Jones` resignation, Obama said last
night that "the American people owe Jim an unbelievable debt
of gratitude for a lifetime of service."
"... Jim has always been a steady voice in Situation Room
sessions, daily briefings and with meetings with foreign
leaders, also representing our country abroad with allies and
partners in every region of the world," he said at the Rose
Garden of the White House with Jones and Donilon standing by
Jones, considered close to India, recently met several
top Indian leaders and officials, including Defence Minister A
K Antony, National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon and
Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao.
During Jones` tenure, the US "reset" relations with
Russia and signed a historic new START treaty on arms
reduction, Obama said.
"And after years of drift, we have built a broad
international coalition to hold Iran accountable and applied
unprecedented pressure through tough new sanctions," he said.
"We have renewed the push for peace in the Middle
East, charted a course to secure vulnerable nuclear materials
within four years, and re-established our leadership in the
Pacific Rim, while taking the lead in forging a response at
the global level to the economic crisis," Obama said.
About Donilon, the President said he has a wealth of
experience that will serve him well in this new assignment.
"He has served three Presidents and been immersed in
our national security for decades," he said.
"We have some huge challenges ahead. We remain a
nation at war, and we will not rest in our efforts to disrupt,
dismantle and defeat al Qaeda. And above all, we are committed
to forging the kind of American leadership that can shape the
world in the 21st century," Obama said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA