Jordan: 4 vehicles destroyed on Syria border
Amman: Jordanian border guards opened fire on four vehicles trying to enter illegally from Syria after they ignored orders to stop, the state-run news agency reported today, without saying whether anyone was killed or wounded in the incident.
The Petra news agency said the incident took place yesterday. Officials could not immediately be reached to provide further details.
Jordan hosts nearly 600,000 registered Syrian refugees although Jordanian officials say the real number is far higher.
The kingdom has quietly supported Syria`s rebels since the start of the uprising against President Bashar Assad in 2011, and ordered Syria`s ambassador out last month after accusing him of making "offensive" statements about Jordan.
Syria`s conflict, now in its fourth year, has killed at least 160,000 people, according to activists. Nearly three million Syrians have fled the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagwant Mann smells of alcohol, can't sit next to him: Suspended AAP MP Harinder Khalsa
- Simply irresistible! You cannot take your eyes off majestic Priyanka Chopra on Flaunt cover- See it to believe it
- Varun Dhawan, Jacqueline and John Abraham run for their lives in new 'Dishoom' POSTER? Pic inside
- Ruling due on whether IMF chief to face trial in France
- Vodafone reports better-than-expected 2.2% rise in Q1 revenue