Jordan appeals for aid to cope with Syrian refugees
Paris: Jordan needs hundreds of millions of dollars in aid to cope with the mounting number of Syrian refugees, Social Development Minister Reem Abu Hassan said in Paris on Thursday.
There were already more than one million Syrian refugees in Jordan and health and education services were absolutely stretched, Abu Hassan told a news agency.
The Jordanian government puts the number of refugees at around 5,80,000 but says the number of Syrians living in the country is about 1.2 million.
Abu Hassan said that the humanitarian crisis in Jordan could spark the animosity of locals, who have been hitherto welcoming.
"Local communities are... Actually supporting Syrian refugees but there might come a time when they could suffer from frustration and we don`t want to reach that level," she said on the sidelines of a meeting of Euro-Mediterranean countries.
"I think we need around USD 300 million annually to support the health sector and USD 800 million for the education sector," Abu Hassan said.
The United Nations agency for children recently said that only one third of the some 1,50,000 Syrian school-aged children in Jordan were getting an education.
Abu Hassan said the refugees were spread all over and not bunched in the massive Zaatari refugee camp as widely perceived internationally.
Many schools were doing double shifts while the size of the classes in schools in the affected areas had swelled from 25-30 students to around 60 students, she said.
"Many infections that were eradicated in Jordan, like TB, are now back," she said.
Abu Hassan`s appeal came as French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius promised measures to fast-track the applications of Syrians seeking asylum.
"We have given orders so that demands for the right to exile are processed more quickly than in the past," Fabius said on RTL radio, promising measures to "increase the number
of refugees" granted permission to live in France.
According to French government figures, about 700 Syrians made requests for asylum in France between January and August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister