Jordan foils al Qaeda terror plot, arrests 11
Amman: Jordanian intelligence said Sunday it had arrested 11 al Qaeda members after foiling a plot to carry out terrorist attacks on strategic facilities and western targets in the Arab kingdom, reported Xinhua, citing the state-run Petra news agency.
The terrorist group planned to attack malls and strategic facilities in the country, the department said, adding that the group started planning for its scheme in June.
"The terrorist group sought to spread chaos and panic believing that attacking strategic facilities and western targets will lead to a case of security chaos in Jordan and will pave the way for more attacks," the department said in the statement on Petra Sunday.
The terrorist cell planned to attack its targets with explosives, booby-trapped cars, machines guns, according to the statement.
The department said the terrorist group was planning to bring TNT and explosives and mortar shells from Syria. They planned to attack foreigners and diplomats in hotels and public areas and later attack Abdoun area, which is home to a large number of diplomatic missions.
The terrorists were planning to start by attacking two malls to distract the security forces and then attack strategic facilities including diplomatic missions by suicide bombers, it said.
In November 2005, a series of coordinated bomb attacks ripped three hotels in Amman, leaving more than 100 dead and injuring many. Al Qaeda claimed responsibility for the 2005 attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy