Jordan Islamists protest as king meets Obama
Amman: Hours before Jordan`s king meets with US President Barack Obama in California, his Islamist opposition at home is staging its largest protest in months to reject a peace deal as a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The 1,200 protesters affiliated with Jordan`s Muslim Brotherhood have also burned the Israeli flag.
Although Jordan maintains cordial ties with Israel under a 1994 peace treaty, many Jordanians are skeptical of their neighbor`s intentions. Roughly half of Jordan`s population traces its roots to Palestinians displaced in Arab-Israeli wars.
Jordan`s Brotherhood calls for Israel`s annihilation through armed struggle.
The protesters also demanded Jordan`s King Abdullah II to "revoke the peace treaty with the Zionists."
Abdullah`s today meeting with Obama will focus on Israeli-Palestinian peace, the war in Syria and increased US aid to cash-strapped Jordan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof