Jordan should allow in Palestinians from Syria: UN
United Nations: The UN`s chief relief official for Palestinians is urging Jordan to stop discriminating against Palestinian refugees fleeing the Syrian war and open its borders to them.
The commissioner general of the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees says "all refugees should be treated equally."
Filippo Grandi told reporters today that Jordan has been burdened by some 2 million Palestinian refugees over decades.
But he disagreed with Jordan`s decision to close the border last year to Palestinian refugees and called on Amman "to exercise maximum humanitarian efforts."
Last year, the New York-based group Human Rights Watch praised Jordan`s admission of some 140,000 Syrian refugees but said officials have arbitrarily detained Palestinians in a holding center without any options except to return to Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi