Jordan should allow in Palestinians from Syria: UN
United Nations: The UN`s chief relief official for Palestinians is urging Jordan to stop discriminating against Palestinian refugees fleeing the Syrian war and open its borders to them.
The commissioner general of the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees says "all refugees should be treated equally."
Filippo Grandi told reporters today that Jordan has been burdened by some 2 million Palestinian refugees over decades.
But he disagreed with Jordan`s decision to close the border last year to Palestinian refugees and called on Amman "to exercise maximum humanitarian efforts."
Last year, the New York-based group Human Rights Watch praised Jordan`s admission of some 140,000 Syrian refugees but said officials have arbitrarily detained Palestinians in a holding center without any options except to return to Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal