Jordan should allow in Palestinians from Syria: UN
United Nations: The UN`s chief relief official for Palestinians is urging Jordan to stop discriminating against Palestinian refugees fleeing the Syrian war and open its borders to them.
The commissioner general of the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees says "all refugees should be treated equally."
Filippo Grandi told reporters today that Jordan has been burdened by some 2 million Palestinian refugees over decades.
But he disagreed with Jordan`s decision to close the border last year to Palestinian refugees and called on Amman "to exercise maximum humanitarian efforts."
Last year, the New York-based group Human Rights Watch praised Jordan`s admission of some 140,000 Syrian refugees but said officials have arbitrarily detained Palestinians in a holding center without any options except to return to Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit: Emotions a key factor as the British EU referendum looms
- SCO Summit: India looks forward to fruitful outcome, says PM Narendra Modi
- 'Nautanki, full drama CM': Arvind Kejriwal tweets praising a movie; Twitter explodes with hilarious reactions
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls Hillary Clinton 'world-class liar' as war of words intensifies
- United Nations criticizes repression in Bahrain, urges dialogue