Jordan`s King inaugurates new Parliament
Amman: Jordan`s King has inaugurated the kingdom`s newly elected Parliament with a pledge to press ahead with democratisation, but added that he will help choose the next prime minister despite the choice having been formally given to the legislature.
Abdullah II`s speech was delivered today to lawmakers elected last month. Government officials say that this legislature will have more power than any of its predecessors, in line with a reform process meant to forestall any large-scale Arab Spring unrest.
But the January 23 polls were boycotted by the best organized opposition group, the Muslim Brotherhood, and yielded a body dominated by inexperienced independents.
An official said that the king wanted to avoid "political chaos." He spoke anonymously as he couldn`t comment publicly on a matter considered a royal prerogative.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will step down if chair becomes impediment in father's vision for J&K: Mehbooba Mufti
- Nuke programme made Pakistan's defence impregnable: Nawaz Sharif
- Indian Army now confirms Hizbul Mujahideen militant Tariq Pandit held
- Kepler 62f: An exoplanet 1200 light years away may be habitable!
- UEFA Champions League final: Five classic Real Madrid-Atletico Madrid derbies