`Joseph Kony will be arrested in 2012`
New York: The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court says he has "no doubt" that fugitive African warlord Joseph Kony will be arrested this year because the international spotlight has helped boost the hunt for the Lord`s Resistance Army leader.
Luis Moreno-Ocampo said the fact that 100 million people watched the first video about Kony`s crimes in just six days showed that "the world today understands that justice has to be done" and he expressed hope that the world will put a spotlight on other fugitives including Sudan`s President and a Congolese Army general to help bring them before the court.
"Twenty years ago, no one was talking about justice," he said in an interview with a news agency. "Now it`s a new thing."
There are now 121 countries that are parties to the International Criminal Court, or ICC, but Moreno-Ocampo said even countries that are not parties, like the United States, Russia, China and India, have supported referrals to the permanent war crimes tribunal and the US is supporting the collection of evidence for possible future prosecutions of crimes in the Syria conflict.
"We are moving to a new world," he said. Moreno-Ocampo cited three key decisions in the ongoing hunt for Kony the Ugandan government`s renewed commitment of troops, the Central African Republic giving a green light for Ugandan soldiers to operate there, and US President Barack Obama`s dispatch of 100 US military advisers mostly Army Special Forces to help the Ugandans with logistics including helicopters and intelligence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof