`Joseph Kony will be arrested in 2012`
New York: The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court says he has "no doubt" that fugitive African warlord Joseph Kony will be arrested this year because the international spotlight has helped boost the hunt for the Lord`s Resistance Army leader.
Luis Moreno-Ocampo said the fact that 100 million people watched the first video about Kony`s crimes in just six days showed that "the world today understands that justice has to be done" and he expressed hope that the world will put a spotlight on other fugitives including Sudan`s President and a Congolese Army general to help bring them before the court.
"Twenty years ago, no one was talking about justice," he said in an interview with a news agency. "Now it`s a new thing."
There are now 121 countries that are parties to the International Criminal Court, or ICC, but Moreno-Ocampo said even countries that are not parties, like the United States, Russia, China and India, have supported referrals to the permanent war crimes tribunal and the US is supporting the collection of evidence for possible future prosecutions of crimes in the Syria conflict.
"We are moving to a new world," he said. Moreno-Ocampo cited three key decisions in the ongoing hunt for Kony the Ugandan government`s renewed commitment of troops, the Central African Republic giving a green light for Ugandan soldiers to operate there, and US President Barack Obama`s dispatch of 100 US military advisers mostly Army Special Forces to help the Ugandans with logistics including helicopters and intelligence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS