Journalist famed for World War II scoop turns 100
Hong Kong: Veteran British war
correspondent Clare Hollingworth, who broke the story that the
Second World War had started, turned 100 in Hong Kong on Monday as
a memoir of her is near completion.
The centenarian was set to celebrate the occasion with
journalists and friends at the Hong Kong Foreign
Correspondents` Club (FCC), where she has been a regular in
the past three decades since moving to the city in 1981.
"She is very respected and admired by all of us," club
president Anna Healy Fenton said of Hollingworth, one of two
goodwill ambassadors of the FCC.
The veteran journalist, who witnessed the horrors of
war in Vietnam, Algeria, the Middle East, India and Pakistan,
is best remembered for her scoop on World War II in 1939 when
she was just a rookie reporter.
She broke the story of Germany`s invasion of Poland
during her first week working as a journalist in Poland after
she was dispatched there by The Daily Telegraph to cover the
worsening security situation in Europe.
On September 1, Hollingworth called the British
Embassy in Warsaw to tell the officials that the war had
started, after she had been woken by the roar of Nazi aircraft
Hollingworth has said she had to hold the telephone
out of her bedroom window to capture the sounds of German
forces to convince the embassy her story was true.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi