Journalist gunned down in Guatemala
Guatemala City: A journalist with Nuestro Diario newspaper was fatally shot in the eastern Guatemalan province of Jutiapa, the publication said Thursday.
Jaime Napoleon Jarquin Duarte, 63, was a former schoolteacher who joined the paper three years ago, Nuestro Diario said.
Three friends who happened to be with the reporter at the time of the assault were wounded.
The incident took place Wednesday night in Ciudad Pedro de Alvarado, a town on the border with El Salvador.
Nuestro Diario is known for its intensive coverage of crime and violence in Guatemala, a nation of some 14 million people that experiences an average of 16 homicides a day.
Police said they had no leads on who shot Jarquin and no information on a motive for the killing. Neither authorities nor Nuestro Diario were aware of any threats against the reporter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- Saarc FMs meet focused on trade, tax avoidance pacts: Das
- Centre to replace J&K governor? Five names doing rounds as his successor
- Arun Jaitley pitches for BRICS arbitration platform
- Labour Unions adamant on Sept 2 strike; Datatterya, Goyal hold meeting
- Ricoh India promoters get NCLT nod to recapitalise company