Journalist gunned down in Guatemala
Guatemala City: A journalist with Nuestro Diario newspaper was fatally shot in the eastern Guatemalan province of Jutiapa, the publication said Thursday.
Jaime Napoleon Jarquin Duarte, 63, was a former schoolteacher who joined the paper three years ago, Nuestro Diario said.
Three friends who happened to be with the reporter at the time of the assault were wounded.
The incident took place Wednesday night in Ciudad Pedro de Alvarado, a town on the border with El Salvador.
Nuestro Diario is known for its intensive coverage of crime and violence in Guatemala, a nation of some 14 million people that experiences an average of 16 homicides a day.
Police said they had no leads on who shot Jarquin and no information on a motive for the killing. Neither authorities nor Nuestro Diario were aware of any threats against the reporter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan