Journalist gunned down in Guatemala
Guatemala City: A journalist with Nuestro Diario newspaper was fatally shot in the eastern Guatemalan province of Jutiapa, the publication said Thursday.
Jaime Napoleon Jarquin Duarte, 63, was a former schoolteacher who joined the paper three years ago, Nuestro Diario said.
Three friends who happened to be with the reporter at the time of the assault were wounded.
The incident took place Wednesday night in Ciudad Pedro de Alvarado, a town on the border with El Salvador.
Nuestro Diario is known for its intensive coverage of crime and violence in Guatemala, a nation of some 14 million people that experiences an average of 16 homicides a day.
Police said they had no leads on who shot Jarquin and no information on a motive for the killing. Neither authorities nor Nuestro Diario were aware of any threats against the reporter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead