Journalists in China say Yahoo accounts hacked
Beijing: Yahoo e-mail accounts belonging to
foreign journalists appeared to have been hacked and Google`s
Chinese search engine was intermittently blocked on Tuesday, the
latest troubles in China`s heavily censored Internet market.
The Yahoo Inc accounts of at least three journalists and
an analyst became inaccessible over the last few weeks. They
were greeted with messages saying, "We`ve detected an issue
with your account" and were told to contact Yahoo, they said
today. Yahoo techs told one of the four that his account had
been hacked and restored his access, but it was not clear if
the other instances were related.
Sensitivity about Internet security has run high since
Google Inc announced in January it might leave China after a
series of cyberattacks and complaints about censorship. Last
week, Google made a partial retreat, shutting down its
mainland-based search engine and redirecting those queries
offshore, to the freer Chinese territory of Hong Kong.
Analysts have been watching closely to see if China
retaliates for Google`s high-profile departure from the
mainland search engine market.
Many redirected queries appeared blocked today on the
Hong Kong-based search engine. Searches for benign terms were
met with results on Chinese competitors such as Baidu.com and
Soso.com, however, an error page would pop up when typed into
Dozens of China-based Twitter users posted updates
saying they were having the same problem. But it wasn`t
immediately clear what was causing the glitch.
Zhou Shuguang, a Beijing-based writer who blogs under the
name "Zuola," said he tried to search the word "pest" using
several search engines. Only Google.com.hk returned an error
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city