‘Judaism’ most popular religion in US
Jerusalem: A new study has revealed that the most popular faith in the US is Judaism.
Sociologists Robert D Putnam and David E Campbell write in their new book ‘American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us’ about the study they conducted amongst 3,000 ordinary Americans to rank religions.
“Most surprisingly, the most popular religion in America are Jews among non-Jews, followed closely by Catholics. Fifty years ago, or 100 years ago, that almost certainly would not have been true,” the Jerusalem Post quoted Putnam as saying.
Americans were a deeply religious people – more so on average than in Iran, he said.
But why Judaism?
“There was a lot of anti-Semitism in America during the 1930s and 1940s. It was not as high as Europe but a high level of anti-Semitism in America. If you look at the trend data year by year by the same measure that the Gallop poll has been doing, for 70 years now there was a very, very sharp drop in expressed anti-Semitism in 1946,” he said.
“That was the revelation of the Holocaust, and the revelation of the Holocaust had the effect of completely delegitimising anti-Semitism in America. It became much, much harder to say anti-Semitic things in public,” Putnam said.
“So the next generation were less anti-Semitic and the process continued. So all the anti-Semitic stereotypes in America, the Shylocks and Christ-killers, all that kind of stuff disappeared from public culture and then private culture,” he said.
Asked if he felt proud of his findings, being a member of the tribe, Putnam responded, “Not pride so much as satisfaction because I think that despite our problems, they are different than those our predecessors had 50 or 60 years ago, and I worry a little bit that if we continue to think that our worst problem is how non-Jews feel about us, that detracts from serious problems we as a community have.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing