Judge in Malaysia`s Anwar case refuses to step down
Kuala Lumpur: The judge hearing Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim`s sodomy trial refused on Thursday to stand down from the case, rejecting the defence argument that he was biased.
The trial, which Anwar says is a political conspiracy engineered by the Prime Minister and his wife, was suspended until March 25 while his lawyers appeal the judge`s decision.
"I don`t see any reason to recuse myself from this case. If I do this I will be running away from my duty as a judge," Judge Mohamad Zabidin Diah told the court.
Mohamad Zabidin said no "reasonable person" would infer he was biased based on the defence`s argument that he had failed to rein in unfair media coverage of the trial which began last month.
Defence counsel Karpal Singh said he would contest the judge`s decision and repeated Anwar`s allegations that Prime Minister Najib Razak and his wife Rosmah Mansor masterminded the sodomy allegations to undermine the opposition.
"There is a black hand behind this prosecution and it is none other than the present prime minister," Karpal told the court. "Actually there are two hands, including his wife."
Anwar, who faces 20 years in prison if convicted of illicit sexual relations with former aide Mohamad Saiful Bukhari Azlan, was sacked as deputy premier and convicted on similar charges a decade ago.
"These are trumped-up charges involving two black hands -- Najib and Rosmah," the 62-year-old opposition leader told reporters on Thursday.
"Do we want to proceed with these trumped-up charges at the expense of the institutions in this country and the principle of rule of law... or do we want to go on to build this country?"
On Wednesday, some 300 demonstrators massed outside the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur to protest against criticism from Australian lawmakers who last week called for Anwar`s trial to be dropped.
The protesters, led by the influential youth wing of the ruling party UMNO, yelled slogans and carried banners calling on Australia to ‘Mind your own business’.
The Australian MPs had said that observers "find it difficult to believe that a leading opposition voice could be charged with sodomy a second time" and noted the allegations came after Anwar made major gains in 2008 polls.
Anwar was sacked in 1998 and convicted on sodomy and corruption charges but was released in 2004 after the sexual misconduct count was overturned, allowing him to make a comeback to politics as the leader of a reinvigorated opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'