Judge refuses defence witnesses for Putin foe Navalny
Moscow: A judge on Tuesday refused to allow Russia`s top opposition protester Alexei Navalny to call any defence witnesses at his embezzlement trial which could see him jailed for up to 10 years on charges that he calls politically motivated.
The charismatic rally speaker and blogger on state corruption is accused of causing a half-million-dollar loss to the northern Kirov region in a timber deal in 2009 when he acted as an unpaid advisor to the governor. He links the case to his declared ambitions to stand for president.
Judge Sergei Blinov told Navalny`s defence team that they had not shown what extra information the defence witnesses they had requested could tell the court, the RAPSI legal news agency reported from Kirov.
"The witnesses have already been questioned," Blinov said.
Navalny wrote on Twitter: "To be honest, I`m in shock that they refused all the witnesses. OK, I understand that they accept some and not others, but to refuse all of them?!"
The case has caused embarrassment to prosecutors as some witnesses called by the prosecution including Kirov governor Nikita Belykh have failed to back up their account of Navalny`s involvement in alleged collusion to defraud, while others claimed to have forgotten the events.
The trial will resume on July 2 although Navalny told the court that he had to be in Moscow until July 10 to submit documents to stand as a candidate for a small liberal party in the city`s mayoral race, set for September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks