Judge to announce verdict in US rape case today
Steubenville (Ohio): A judge said he would issue a verdict today in the trial of two high school football players accused of raping a 16-year-old girl.
Judge Thomas Lipps said he would announce his decision after reviewing evidence presented over four days in the case against 17-year-old Trent Mays and 16-year-old Ma`lik Richmond. The trial came to an end yesterday.
Defense attorneys argued the state didn`t prove their clients raped the girl after an alcohol-fueled party last summer.
But prosecutors said the evidence, including text messages, testimony and photographs, was overwhelming. The 16-year-old girl testified she was drinking that night and couldn`t remember what happened. She said she woke up naked in a strange house after leaving the party with Mays.
If found delinquent, the two could be held in juvenile jail until they turn 21.
Mays and Richmond are charged with digitally penetrating the accuser, first in a car and then in the basement of a house, while out partying on Aug 12. Mays also is charged with illegal use of a minor in nudity oriented material.
The case has riveted the small city of Steubenville amid allegations that more students should have been charged and led to questions about the influence of the local football team, a source of pride in a community that suffered massive job losses with the collapse of the steel industry.
The girl took the stand yesterday in the nonjury trial and said she remembers drinking at a party last August, leaving the party holding hands with Mays, then throwing up later. The next thing she remembers is waking up with no clothes on in a strange house, she said. Her phone, earrings, shoes, and underwear were missing, she testified.
"It was really scary, really scary," she said. "I honestly did not know what to think because I could not remember anything."
She recalled being in a car later with Mays and Richmond and asking them what happened.
"They kept telling me I was a hassle and they took care of me," she testified. "I thought I could trust him (Mays) until I saw the pictures and video."
She said she was assaulted when she later read text messages among friends and saw a photo of herself and a video made that night. She said she suspected she had been drugged because she couldn`t explain being as intoxicated as defense witnesses have said she was.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested