Judge to let Arizona`s abortion ban take effect
Phoenix: A federal judge is allowing Arizona`s new ban on abortions starting at 20 weeks of pregnancy to take effect.
US District Judge James Teilborg ruled on Monday that the law doesn`t impose substantial limits on abortions and that the state showed a legitimate interest in imposing the limits.
The ban is to take effect Thursday. It prohibits abortions starting at 20 weeks of pregnancy except in medical emergencies. That`s a change from the current ban at viability, which is the ability to survive outside the womb and which is about 24 weeks.
Teilborg held a hearing Wednesday on a request from abortion-rights groups that he temporarily block enforcement. Arizona is among 10 states that have enacted types of 20-week bans. Republican Governor Jan Brewer signed the measure into law in April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday