Judge who arrested Ukraine protesters killed: Ministry
Kiev: A judge who placed several anti-government protesters under house arrest has been killed by two unknown assailants in central Ukraine, the interior ministry said on Wednesday.
The ex-Soviet country has been hit by large-scale protests since November, when President Viktor Yanukovych balked at signing a deal deepening ties with the European Union under pressure from Russia.
Scores of demonstrators have since been detained -- some of whom have been charged with crimes carrying sentences of up to 15 years in jail.
The ministry said Oleksandr Lobodenko, 34, was murdered in central Ukraine`s industrial city of Kremenchuk overnight yesterday.
He "had recently examined the cases of several people who took part in protest acts" and who were charged with "occupying public buildings", it added in a statement.
But the ministry made no direct link between the cases and the murder.
The protest movement has seen Ukrainians set up camp in Independence Square in central Kiev, and occupy several public buildings in the capital and other parts of the country in a bid to pressure Yanukovych to step down.
According to the ministry, the judge had refused to detain the protesters, placing them under house arrest instead.
Judges in Ukraine have a bad reputation, and are often accused of corruption.
According to a recent poll, eight Ukrainians out of 10 say they have little confidence in the profession.
Several judges have been killed in Ukraine in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks