Judge who made rape remark not picked as justice in Jakarta
Jakarta: A candidate for the Indonesian Supreme Court who suggested in a panel interview that rape victims might enjoy the act has not been selected for the post and may lose his job as a judge.
The Judicial Commission, the country`s highest justice body which proposes candidates for the Supreme Court, said on Friday it recommended that Judge Muhammad Daming Sunusi be dismissed for breaching judicial ethics.
Sunusi told the selection panel that since both the attacker and the victim "might have enjoyed it we have to think twice about imposing the death penalty" for rape.
He apologized after the remark sparked public outrage and said it was intended to be a joke.
Eight potential new justices were approved by the House Commission III on Wednesday. Sunusi received zero votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- 'Walking Up With Kolkata' – This video will make you fall in love with the City of Joy
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS