Julian Assange to run for Victorian Senate seat
Melbourne: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, currently holed up in the Ecuadorian embassy in London, is all set to contest for a Senate seat in the September 14 federal election from Victoria.
WikiLeaks Australian Citizens Alliance (WACA) spokeswoman Sam Castro said Assange`s application for the election enrolment was given on Wednesday at the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) here.
"It was lodged on Julian`s behalf with his signature," Castro said adding that the address nominated in Assange`s application was his mother`s house in Mentone, in the federal electorate of Isaacs.
The 41-year-old hacker-turned activist, an Australian national, is trying to avoid extradition from Britain to Sweden over allegations of rape and sexual assault in August 2010.
Since June 19, 2012, Assange has been inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London, where he has since been granted diplomatic asylum.
Assange fears that he may be sent to the US, if extradited to Sweden, and face charges punishable by death for publishing some 250,000 leaked American diplomatic cables.
Castro said a newly formed WikiLeaks party will consist of a 10-member national council and would be convened within a week, AAP news agency reported.
"They are people who are close associates, academics, specialists in their field and activists as well," she said.
Castro further said if Assange was elected and unable to fill his Senate seat, another nominated member would be chosen to fill the vacancy.
"My understanding is ... The party can nominate another person if a candidate is unable to take their seat," she said.
Castro said the party would run on a platform of transparency in government.
Assange`s father John Shipton said he will be the chief executive of the newly-formed party and believed there was a lot of public support for his son.
"I think there`s a lot of support for Julian and even more support for what Julian stands for," Shipton said adding "The party stands for what Julian espouses - transparency and accountability in government and of course human rights.
"Assange`s mother Christine Assange said public support indicated a successful run for him.
"There is a lot of enthusiasm in people for a change," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark