Kachin rebels in Myanmar allege new air attacks
Yangon: Kachin ethnic rebels in northern Myanmar say air attacks by the military are continuing, but that the guerrillas still hold key positions protecting their main base.
Kachin Independence Army spokesman La Nan acknowledged today that one of the guerrillas` hilltop posts had fallen, as reported by the government. But he said other posts remain in rebel hands to safeguard their main base at Laiza.
Myanmar`s military yesterday acknowledged carrying out air attacks and seizing the hilltop position to keep the Kachin from blocking supply convoys to a government base.
La Nan said two government fighter planes launched rocket attacks today, following several days of strafing and bombing.
The Kachin have long sought greater autonomy from the central government. The two sides have been actively fighting since last June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know