Kachin rebels in Myanmar allege new air attacks
Yangon: Kachin ethnic rebels in northern Myanmar say air attacks by the military are continuing, but that the guerrillas still hold key positions protecting their main base.
Kachin Independence Army spokesman La Nan acknowledged today that one of the guerrillas` hilltop posts had fallen, as reported by the government. But he said other posts remain in rebel hands to safeguard their main base at Laiza.
Myanmar`s military yesterday acknowledged carrying out air attacks and seizing the hilltop position to keep the Kachin from blocking supply convoys to a government base.
La Nan said two government fighter planes launched rocket attacks today, following several days of strafing and bombing.
The Kachin have long sought greater autonomy from the central government. The two sides have been actively fighting since last June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player