Kamala Harris holds thin lead for California AG
Washington: Hours after Indian-American Nikki Haley created history by winning the Governor`s job in South Carolina, another woman of Indian origin, Kamala Harris holds a razor-thin lead in the election for Attorney General of California.
With nearly 7 million ballots counted, Democrat Harris, daughter of an Indian mother and African-American father, was holding a lead of fewer than 38,000 votes over Republican Steve Cooley in the race for state Attorney General.
But thousands of late absentee and provisional ballots remain uncounted on Wednesday. Cooley, the Los Angeles County district attorney, jumped out to an early lead as the votes were being counted across the state Tuesday night.
Cooley declared victory and scheduled a victory press conference for Wednesday morning. But as the race tightened, Cooley`s campaign announced he was cancelling the press conference until the race had a more definitive result.
Harris, who trailed in most public opinion polls leading up to election day, is trying to complete a Democratic sweep of statewide offices. All other statewide offices went to Democrats, including the three currently held by Republicans -- Governor, Lieutenant Governor and Insurance Commissioner.
If her victory holds, Harris would become the first African-American and first woman ever to hold the job of California Attorney General.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends