Kamala Harris holds thin lead for California AG
Washington: Hours after Indian-American Nikki Haley created history by winning the Governor`s job in South Carolina, another woman of Indian origin, Kamala Harris holds a razor-thin lead in the election for Attorney General of California.
With nearly 7 million ballots counted, Democrat Harris, daughter of an Indian mother and African-American father, was holding a lead of fewer than 38,000 votes over Republican Steve Cooley in the race for state Attorney General.
But thousands of late absentee and provisional ballots remain uncounted on Wednesday. Cooley, the Los Angeles County district attorney, jumped out to an early lead as the votes were being counted across the state Tuesday night.
Cooley declared victory and scheduled a victory press conference for Wednesday morning. But as the race tightened, Cooley`s campaign announced he was cancelling the press conference until the race had a more definitive result.
Harris, who trailed in most public opinion polls leading up to election day, is trying to complete a Democratic sweep of statewide offices. All other statewide offices went to Democrats, including the three currently held by Republicans -- Governor, Lieutenant Governor and Insurance Commissioner.
If her victory holds, Harris would become the first African-American and first woman ever to hold the job of California Attorney General.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM