Kamalesh Sharma reappointed Commonwealth Secy Gen
Perth: Seasoned Indian diplomat Kamalesh
Sharma was on Sunday reappointed Secretary General of the
54-nation Commonwealth grouping for a four-year term beginning
India proposed 70-year-old Sharma`s name for a second
term to the coveted post at the concluding session of the 21st
Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) here.
Pakistan seconded it.
The proposal was accepted unanimously by everybody.
Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard congratulated
Sharma on his re-appointment at a joint press conference with
Sharma on conclusion of the CHOGM.
"I am deeply appreciative of the confidence reposed by
the leaders of the Commonwealth for giving me a further term
in office," Sharma said.
Faced with a poser on his age at a time when the focus of
the Commonwealth was on the youth, Sharma had a deft response:
"In life it does not matter how old you are, but how young you
Sharma, a former Indian High Commissioner to the United
Kingdom, was elected as Commonwealth Secretary General at the
19th CHOGM in Uganda over Michael Frendo, the Foreign Minister
Sharma has been associated with the Commonwealth since
2004 when he was a member of the Board of Governors of the
Commonwealth Secretariat and the Commonwealth Foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency