Karadzic counsel appointed, trial resumes in March 2010
Amsterdam: Yugoslavia war crimes tribunal judges ordered the appointment of legal counsel for Radovan Karadzic on Thursday because the former Bosnian Serb leader had refused to attend his trial since it started last week.
Proceedings in the war crimes trial, where Karadzic was acting as his own attorney, have been adjourned until March 2010 to give the new defence lawyers time to prepare, Presiding Judge O-Gon Kwon said in a court order.
"The overall interests of justice are best met by the appointment of counsel," the South Korean judge said.
"The Trial Chamber encourages the Accused to discuss his defence and cooperate fully with the appointed counsel, so that he or she can make the most effective use of time available for preparation."
Karadzic, who has denied his 11 war crimes charges from the 1992-95 Bosnian war, had argued for more time but judges had warned they would appoint legal counsel to represent him if he persisted in refusing to attend the trial.
The charges include two of genocide, one for the death of more than 7,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys in the village of Srebrenica in July 1995 and another for broader atrocities.
Karadzic, 64, led the Serbs who tried to carve their own state, the Serb Republic, out of Bosnia during the break-up of Yugoslavia in Europe`s worst conflict since World War Two.
Captured in July 2008 after 11 years on the run, Karadzic fought the judges throughout pre-trial proceedings, claiming immunity from prosecution and asking for 10 extra months to prepare for trial, both of which were denied.
The court said that if Karadzic continued to boycott the trial after March, appointed counsel would take over and become assigned counsel, which would effectively turn proceedings into a trial in absentia.
The charges against Karadzic relate to the 1992-95 Bosnian war and include the 43-month siege of Sarajevo that began in 1992. An estimated 10,000 people died in the siege as the former Yugoslavia was torn apart in the 1990s by Serbs, Croats and Muslims fighting for land.
A psychiatrist before becoming president of the self-proclaimed Republica Srpska, Karadzic stepped down from power in 1996 and went into hiding until he was captured last year, bearded and disguised as an alternative healer in Belgrade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe