Karzai accorded rare full military honours in US
Washington: Reflecting the importance the US attaches to Hamid Karzai, Defence Secretary Leon Panetta on Thursday accorded full military honours to the visiting Afghan President at the Pentagon.
Marked with traditional pomp and show, the full military honours accorded to Karzai included a 21-gun salute, which is rarely given to a foreign dignitary.
Following the event, Karzai and Panetta led their respective delegations for intensive consultations on a range of issues, which among other things included the bilateral security agreement and number of troop presence in the country after the security transition is completed in 2014.
Panetta among others was joined by Gen Martin Dempsey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Of Staff, in the meeting.
Karzai is also scheduled to meet US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at the Department of State today.
Tomorrow, Karzai would meet US President Barack Obama at the White House, after which both the leaders are scheduled to issue a joint statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up