Kate Middleton and family victims of hacking?
London: Prince William`s wife Kate Middleton and her family may have been victims of the phone hacking scandal involving the now-defunct `News of the World` tabloid, a media report said.
The Duchess of Cambridge, her family and many members of the Royal household with close connections to senior royals have been targeted and the extent of the hacking within royal circles was much more widespread than originally thought, `The Sunday Telegraph` reported.
The initial probe into phone-hacking identified only five victims -- Prince William, Prince Harry and three royal aides -- targeted by private investigator Glenn Mulcaire and the News of the World`s former royal editor Clive Goodman.
Royal aides have confirmed that the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have recently been approached by the police in connection with the latest investigation, thus leading to suspicion that the Middletons were also targeted.
It is now believed that Mulcaire and Goodman also accessed the voicemails of many more royal officials and members of the Royal Family together with a wide circle of their family and friends, the newspaper said.
Earlier this month, Guy Pelly, a close friend of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, launched a civil case against the News of the World over allegations of phone hacking.
It is understood the police have recently contacted many royal officials to inform them that their voicemails were intercepted, the report said.
A source said: "It`s much more widespread than was known at the time and it involved a lot more people and a lot more hacking at all levels. If they (Mulcaire and Goodman) have targeted Prince William and Prince Harry, you can assume they targeted their friends and immediate family."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan