Kazakh President`s party crushes opposition
Astana: Election officials in Kazakhstan say three parties have won seats in the Parliament, ending the total control once held by the President`s party.
However, President Nursultan Nazarbayev`s Nur Otan party remains the overwhelming force in the legislature, winning more than 80 percent of the vote in Sunday`s election.
Nur Otan held all elected seats in the previous 107-member Parliament. Nine deputies are nominated by a presidential advisory body.
According to results released on Monday by the Central Elections Commission, two other parties got slightly more than 7 percent of the nationwide vote, clearing the threshold for gaining seats. They are the business-oriented Ak Zhol, which avoids confrontation with the government, and the People`s Communist Party.
There was no immediate breakdown on the number of seats for each party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security