Kazakh President`s party crushes opposition
Astana: Election officials in Kazakhstan say three parties have won seats in the Parliament, ending the total control once held by the President`s party.
However, President Nursultan Nazarbayev`s Nur Otan party remains the overwhelming force in the legislature, winning more than 80 percent of the vote in Sunday`s election.
Nur Otan held all elected seats in the previous 107-member Parliament. Nine deputies are nominated by a presidential advisory body.
According to results released on Monday by the Central Elections Commission, two other parties got slightly more than 7 percent of the nationwide vote, clearing the threshold for gaining seats. They are the business-oriented Ak Zhol, which avoids confrontation with the government, and the People`s Communist Party.
There was no immediate breakdown on the number of seats for each party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test