Kazakh President`s party crushes opposition
Astana: Election officials in Kazakhstan say three parties have won seats in the Parliament, ending the total control once held by the President`s party.
However, President Nursultan Nazarbayev`s Nur Otan party remains the overwhelming force in the legislature, winning more than 80 percent of the vote in Sunday`s election.
Nur Otan held all elected seats in the previous 107-member Parliament. Nine deputies are nominated by a presidential advisory body.
According to results released on Monday by the Central Elections Commission, two other parties got slightly more than 7 percent of the nationwide vote, clearing the threshold for gaining seats. They are the business-oriented Ak Zhol, which avoids confrontation with the government, and the People`s Communist Party.
There was no immediate breakdown on the number of seats for each party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report