Kazakhstan angry as spoof anthem played at event
Moscow: Kazakhstan has labelled the playing of a spoof of its national anthem at an international sporting event "a scandal”, and demanded a probe into the incident.
Maria Dmitrienko won a gold medal for Kazakhstan on Thursday at the Arab Shooting Championships in Kuwait, but during the awards ceremony the public address system broadcast the spoof anthem from the 2006 movie "Borat”, which offended many Kazakhs by portraying the country as backwards and degenerate.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Ilyas Omarov told the ITAR-Tass news agency the incident "is, of course, a scandal and demands a thorough investigation, which we intend to conduct”.
ITAR-Tass reported shooting team member Oksana Stavitskaya as saying that Asian Shooting Federation president Sheikh Salman al-Sabah had apologised to the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress to hold legislature party meeting in Puducherry today, decision on CM candidate likely
- VHP president Praveen Togadia visits Bajrang Dal's 'self-defence' camp in Noida, defends arms training of activists
- WATCH: INCREDIBLE! Not just AB de Villiers but wife Danielle too is multitalented
- Check rajresults.nic.in, rajeduboard.nic.in for Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12 (Arts) Examination Results 2016 to be declared after 3 pm on May 28
- Mass rape video shocks Brazil as teen girl drugged, gang-raped by over 30 men in Rio