Kazakhstan determined to eliminate nuclear threat: Nazarbayev
Astana: Reiterating Kazakhstan`s determination to establish a nuclear weapon free zone in Central Asia, President Nursultan Nazarbayev has said his government supports the efforts of the international community to counter nuclear terrorism.
"Our initiatives to strengthen the nuclear non-proliferation regime are a key contribution to global stability, order and security. Being the first in the world to close nuclear testing site at Semipalatinsk and abandon nuclear weapons, we gained strong international security guarantees from the leading nuclear powers: USA, Russia, Great Britain, France and China," Nazarbayev said.
"We firmly believe in the need to take decisive measures to eliminate nuclear threats. We believe that the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty has been and remains the cornerstone of the non-proliferation regime. We consider the early entrance into force of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty as an important driving force to strengthen the non-proliferation regime," he added.
"Three years ago the UN General Assembly supported my suggestion to announce August 29 as the International Day against Nuclear Tests. All of this is a testament to the recognition of Kazakhstan`s role in global politics. Kazakhstan has been recognized as a leader in nuclear nonproliferation and remains a model for other countries," Nazarbayev further said.
On the issue of energy resources, Nazarbayev said: Kazakhstan``s oil and gas complex remains the powerhouse of its economy, which facilitates the growth of other sectors.
"We have successfully created a modern and efficient oil, gas and mining sector. Our success in this area will help us to build a new economy of the future," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read