Keith Vaz angers women MPs over `sexist` remark
London: British Indian MP Keith Vaz has evoked sharp criticism from his female counterparts after allegedly making a `sexist` remark about Home Secretary Theresa May, on a popular social networking site.
56-year-old Vaz, the longest serving Asian MP and chairman of the House of Commons Home Affairs Select Committee, sparked the controversy by commented upon May`s "thin" appearance and suggesting her stressful job may have caused weight loss.
"A bit worried about Home Secretary she is looking a bit thin these days. A new diet or pressure of work," the influential parliamentarian wrote on Twitter.
The comment has sparked anger among a number of women MPs, who labelled it as "patronising" and "unpleasant".
"I thought it was rather silly and thoughtless remark from Keith. I know Keith, he is not by nature unpleasant, but I think this remark just came across as rather patronising. I`m reasonably confident as a woman in politics who has had to bear the brunt of comments about my own weight, that actually this is something that is frequently dished out to women MPs that isn`t done to the same extent to men," Conservative MP Caroline Nokes said.
Equalities Minister Helen Grant added: "She looks fantastic, she is fantastic. She works incredibly hard. Would the same be said of a male MP?"
Harriett Baldwin, Tory MP for West Worcestershire, said she was sure the Labour MP "would apologise if he thought about it".
May, 56, is believed to have lost some weight over the last year, working out regularly and going mountain climbing in Switzerland.
The Home Secretary is fiercely protective of her private life, rarely giving personal interviews.
There is also speculation that she could be a credible successor to David Cameron as Conservative party leader.
A spokesman at her office said she did not wish to respond to Vaz`s remarks.
Vaz`s office has also chosen not to issue any statement on the comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title