Kelley received US military’s highest civilian honour from Petraeus
Washington: Florida socialite Jill Kelley at the centre of David Petraeus sex scandal was awarded one of the US military’s highest civilian honours after being nominated by the former CIA director General.
Kelley, whose complaint to the FBI sparked the inquiry that led to Petraeus’ resignation as CIA director, received the ‘Outstanding Public Service’ prize from him at a ceremony in March last year.
The 37-year-old ‘social liaison’ to the US military in Florida was praised in the award citation for the lavish parties she threw at her mansion in Tampa for senior officials and their spouses, the Telegraph reports.
“These events promoted camaraderie, understanding and a better appreciation for Coalition and military customs, concerns and abilities,” it said.
Kelley had complained to a friend in the FBI’s Tampa office after receiving emails from Paula Broadwell, Petraeus’ biographer and mistress, allegedly threatening her to stay away from the general.
The inquiry revealed details of Petraeus’ affair with Broadwell as well as multiple flirtatious emails shared between Kelley and Genearl John Allen, the commander of US forces in Afghanistan.
According to the report, Petraeus recommended Kelley for the award while serving as commander of US Central Command in Tampa.
By the time of the ceremony in Washington, he was leading the war in Afghanistan, the report said.
He presented her with a silver medal, lapel pin and certificate for the prize, which is the second-highest given to civilians by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh